Leg cramps are really bad, really, really bad. And if you’ve ever gotten one, you would surely know.
It would start off with a slight twinge, and then it will slowly get more and more intensified until you can’t even stand up. If this happens to you often, using some essential oil for leg cramps might help.
Different essentials oils can help soothe your leg cramps and spasms in different ways.
Today, we are not restricting ourselves to just one essential oil for leg cramps but discussing all these in general. So, read on:
- 1 10 Benefits Of Using Essential Oil For Leg Cramps
- 1.1 1. Using Essential Oil For Leg Cramps Brings Pain Relief
- 1.2 2. Essential Oils Can Help Minimize Muscle Sores
- 1.3 3. Using Essential Oil For Leg Cramps May Help Prevent Other Discomfort
- 1.4 4. Using Essential Oil For Leg Cramps During Pregnancy Is A Great Idea!
- 1.5 5. Using Essential Oil Blend For Leg Cramps Can Boost Elasticity
- 1.6 6. Some Essential Oils Can Lessen Muscle Tension And Relax Aches
- 1.7 7. Essential Oils Can Help With Swelling And Inflammation
- 1.8 8. Other Essential Oils For Leg Cramps Can Help With Blood Circulation
- 1.9 9. Using Essential Oils For Leg Cramps Is A Side-effect Free Therapy
- 1.10 10. Regular Use Of Essential Oils Can Prevent The Cramps From Occurring
- 2 How To Use Essential Oil For Leg Cramps?
- 3 When To Use Essential Oil For Leg Cramps?
- 4 Are There Any Risks Associated With Using Any Essential Oil For Leg Cramps?
- 5 Conclusion
10 Benefits Of Using Essential Oil For Leg Cramps
Leg cramps are a common affliction for which there is no effective drug treatment. But they can be treated with oils applied to the legs, since these oils may solve the problem by just relaxing muscles.
Cramps are caused by sudden or sustained muscle contractions that often occur during sleep, but they can also happen during the day.
The essential oils that are known to be effective for leg cramps include lavender, tea tree, Eucalyptus, peppermint, rosemary and more.
And these essential oils work in different ways. So, let us just get into the benefits and details below:
1. Using Essential Oil For Leg Cramps Brings Pain Relief
The best benefit and the most obvious one is that essential oil for leg cramps brings pain relief!
Peppermint oil is a winner in this regards but others are not bad as well.
When you apply any of these oils to your legs, it relaxes the muscles and takes away all unwanted tension.
This makes it easier for you to walk around and do your daily chores without experiencing unnecessary pain.
Related Video – Essential Oil Recipe for Muscle Cramps
2. Essential Oils Can Help Minimize Muscle Sores
Muscle sores are often the leading cause behind those mad cramps you get at nights. One of the major essential oil benefits include their ability to treat sores.
Most of these oils contain anti-inflammatory properties which are necessary to bring down swelling and soreness.
This way, they ensure your muscles are not under attack from any external agent and you can sleep in peace at night.
3. Using Essential Oil For Leg Cramps May Help Prevent Other Discomfort
In addition to just treating muscle cramps and soreness, some essential oils can also help prevent others forms of discomfort that may stem from leg cramps.
Rosemary oil is a great example of an essential oil for leg cramps because it has analgesic properties which serve as a great pain reliever.
What’s more, it also has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties that help in soothing your muscles and preventing other forms of discomfort such as headaches.
4. Using Essential Oil For Leg Cramps During Pregnancy Is A Great Idea!
For pregnant women, using essential oil for leg cramps is a great idea.
You see, pregnancy often leads to insomnia and other weaknesses which in turn lead to leg cramps and discomfort.
Essential oils have strong soothing properties that can help you get a good night’s sleep while preventing the occurrence of leg cramps.
5. Using Essential Oil Blend For Leg Cramps Can Boost Elasticity
When you often get leg cramps, the muscles in that area become really stiff and lose their elasticity.
This can be prevented with essential oil use because some of these oils contain anti-inflammatory properties which are great at healing sores and preventing discomfort.
6. Some Essential Oils Can Lessen Muscle Tension And Relax Aches
When you are suffering from leg cramps, most parts of your body go into tensed positions.
This is not good for the muscles because it limits their blood supply and makes them stiff. Essential oils such as peppermint oil can be beneficial in that regards by relaxing aches and tension.
7. Essential Oils Can Help With Swelling And Inflammation
When you suffer from leg cramps, the first thing that usually occurs is swelling or inflammation.
Some essential oils can help with this problem because they have anti-inflammatory properties. As a result, they bring down swelling and ease pain which reduces your chances of having muscle cramps.
8. Other Essential Oils For Leg Cramps Can Help With Blood Circulation
Essential oils are great when it comes to circulation. This is because many of them have properties that improve blood flow to the affected area, thereby reducing the chances of cramping.
Topical application is often enough for this purpose but in severe cases, you may need to inhale these essential oils via essential oil diffusers for leg cramps.
9. Using Essential Oils For Leg Cramps Is A Side-effect Free Therapy
One of the greatest benefits of essential oils is that they are made from natural ingredients, making them a safe and effective remedy for all kinds of conditions.
Further to this, most essential oils have been scientifically tested and proven safe for human use!
10. Regular Use Of Essential Oils Can Prevent The Cramps From Occurring
If you are using essential oils for leg cramps, one of the best times to use them is before the cramps occur. This way, you are taking preventive measures against these problems.
How To Use Essential Oil For Leg Cramps?
The best way to use essential oil for leg cramps is by massaging the affected area with a few drops of the oil.
This enhances the absorption rate of these oils into your skin which in turn enables your muscles to receive them fast enough. But let us just discuss different methods individually.
1. Mix With Other Carrier Oils And Apply On Legs
One of the best ways to use essential oils for leg cramps is by diluting them with other carrier oils and applying on your legs.
Just take a few drops of essential oil and mix them with a carrier oil of your choice before rubbing the mixture on your legs.
2. Mix With Oil In A Diffuser And Inhale The Scent
The scent from essential oils is great at soothing many kinds of discomfort such as headaches, nausea, and migraines to leg cramps.
You could also use essential oils for leg cramps by adding them to your oil diffuser along with other essential oils.
Not only will the scent be soothing but you could also get other benefits from these essential oils while preventing future leg cramps.
3. Massage The Cramp’s Site With Just One Essential Oil
If you don’t have a diffuser, you could also use essential oils for leg cramps by using the massage method.
In this case, take a few drops of your essential oil and rub it on to your legs where the cramp often occurs. It’s best to be regular with these massages if you can.
4. Add It To Your Bathing Routine
Another way to use essential oils for leg cramps is by adding them into your bathing routine.
Essential oils are great at clearing toxins out of the skin, thereby improving blood flow and healing the affected area faster.
5. Use The Compress Method
If you are having leg cramps after a long day, the best way to use essential oils for leg cramps is by using the compress method.
For this method, you would need one cotton pad and some essential oil. Once you’re ready with these items simply follow the steps given as follows:
- Pour a few drops of your essential oil on to the cotton pad
- Hold this pad against the affected area for 5-10 minutes
- Repeat this process up to 3 times in 24 hours or whenever you need it!
When To Use Essential Oil For Leg Cramps?
Now that you know how to use essential oil for leg cramps, let us look at when to use it. Well, there is no restriction and you can use it whenever you want.
But then, using an essential oil for leg cramps works better for people at one point in time then other.
So, here are some instances where essential oils are best for leg cramps:
- For People With Nocturnal Cramps, Using Essential Oil For Leg Cramps Can Be The First Thing In The Morning
- Using Essential Oil For Leg Cramps At Night Before Sleeping Is Also A Good Idea
- Essential Oil For Leg Cramps During Pregnancy Works Like Magic.
- You Can Also Use Essential Oil For Leg Cramps In Times Of Stress
- While Travelling, It Is Best To Keep Essential Oils For Leg Cramps Handy.
- Athletes And Sports Persons Can Also Use Essential Oil For Leg Cramps To Increase Muscle Workout
- Finally, If You Workout, Using Essential Oils For Leg Cramps Before Workouts Is A Good Idea.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Using Any Essential Oil For Leg Cramps?
Of course not many, but if you are allergic to an oil or its components you might find yourself in some discomfort after applying it on your skin.
You should therefore first test the oil before using it regularly for leg cramps.
Using an essential oil for leg cramps is a great way to fight this ailment naturally. In fact, since they come with rarely any side effect, you could use them regularly if you provide the right dosages and follow instructions.
Now that you know the many ways of using essential oils for leg cramps, go ahead and use them as required.
We hope this article has been helpful to you. If so, please share it with your family and friends who might have a problem similar to yours. Thank You!